March 2, 2017

Lamma Island, Hong Kong

Just like in Singapore, getting to the islands of HK is fairly easy. Just go to the Ferry Pier at Central and take a short ferry ride to any of the island, in our case Lamma Island. A short 45 minutes ferry ride and we reached the pier at Sok Kwu Wan on Lamma Island. From there, it was a long 2 hours walk to our guesthouse at Luk Chau Tuen but luckily for us, our host came to pick us up in his rubber dinghy. Did I mention rubber dingy?

The rubber dinghy that took us to and from our apartment to the pier

When I first saw it, I could see ourselves getting totally soaked on our way there. Luckily, our host Christian drove very slowly and not only did we not get soaked, we saw a lot of birds especially the Black Kites. I was all so excited and out came the camera although as expected, none of the photos came out well what with the movement of the boat and the choppy water.

That our apartment at the end.

Our place at Luk Chau Tsuen reminds me of one of those places in those 90s Hong Kong vampire movie where the vampires run amok on the island. Luk Chau Tsuen is more like an abandoned village next to the sea and the buildings look so dilapidated, ours included. But fortunately, our host had turned his place into a nice cosy place despite it being quite run down. 

Next morning we started our exploration of Lamma Island. The island itself is not very big and only 7 km in length. There are 2 villages with 2 pier at each end of the island. Unfortunately we were right smacked somewhere in the centre and had to walk about 2 km to Yung Shun Wan village for our breakfast. The walk was fairly easy as there is a proper concrete path that leads to both village.

Just a short walk up the hill and we got a gorgeous view of Aberdeen across the sea.

And just further up ahead we saw the first landmark of the island, the Lamma Wind Turbines. 

There is another impressive view of the sea and beyong from this high point.

Going closer to Yung Shue Wan, we passed by this apparently famous tau huay (bean curd) place but it was too early and not opened yet. We did stopped to eat on our way to Sok Kwu Wan but I wasn’t terribly impressed by it though. What got us more excited was this place

Yes this is the place where the famous Fatt Kor, actor Chow Yun Fat grew up. The 2nd house in the photo! 

And finally after many stops for photos and almost 1 hour later, we reached Yung Shuw Wan where we had our breakfast and the ladies did some shopping for groceries!

From here, we have to walk the whole 7 km to Sok Kwu Wan. The walk was pleasant enough although it involves many climbs. But the view was fantastic and there was beaches and many many birds to see that it took us longer than expected.

Hung Shing Ye Bay

We stopped for a while to enjoy the breeze at the beach. There were proper toilet facilities here and small eateries. It was all so pleasant. Unfortunately, the view was marred by this power plant which sticks out like a sore thumb!

The power plant is visible from most high ground unfortunately

After this we started going up and up and got more and more great views

We didn’t have to go up this peak but we did, later on our way back to our apartment.

After a long long walk, we finally reached the village of Sok Kwu Wan. The first thing that caught my eye is this graffiti of this pig on one of the houses.

The star tourist attraction of Lamma Island is this Tin Hau Temple. 

We didn’t go in though cos we were real hungry by then and there were seafood restaurants galore here. After lunch, we had to walk all the way back to our apartment. This time, we took a detour and went up the peak.

We had a glorious view of the Lamma Island bay from up high. 

By the time we got back to our apartment, we had walked from 8 am till 6 pm criss-crossing the island and then back tracking to our place covering at least 12 km. But with great weather, beautiful scenery and for me, sighting of many birds, it was a great great adventure, well worth the walk. And there was still the sun rise to look forward to the next morning although we did wake up a bit too late to catch the sun rise in full!

Because we stayed on the island, we had to walk back to our place which took extra time. Generally, it would have been better to just do a day trip – take a ferry over to either one of the pier and walk to the other end and take the ferry from the other pier back to mainland. 

Comments & Reviews

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *